About the Parish
We are Christians in the Catholic tradition called by the Holy Spirit in our Baptism to proclaim God’s saving love through Jesus Christ.
By praying and celebrating the Eucharist together, we are inspired to grow in faith and holiness
and to share our time, talent and treasure with others.
Sacred Heart Church
1603 N Parkway Ave
Battle Ground WA
St. Joseph the Worker Mission
200 West Jones
History of Sacred Heart Parish
Sacred Heart was dedicated a mission church in 1877. In 1891 Sacred Heart became part of Lewis River Parish, spanning northwestern Clark County from Woodland to Yacolt and Vancouver North. In 1897 a new building was erected across the road from Dublin Cemetery. In 1928 a new building was erected on Main Street, built by volunteers. In 1940 Sacred Heart was raised to parish status and served three missions, one of which is its present day mission - St. Joseph the Worker in Yacolt.
The fourth and present church building on Parkway was completed in 1980.
History of St Joseph the Worker Mission
St. Joseph Mission was built in Yacolt during the boom days of the logging industry. Tragically, a fire destroyed the first church building. CC Landon donated land for a new church with a bell tower. Around this time Mass was celebrated four times a year on the fifth Sunday. Father Henry Buckman of Sacred Heart Church began to celebrate mass at St Joseph regularly. Father George McLean dedicated the current church. St Joseph then officially was served as a mission of Sacred Heart Parish.
Later Buckman Hall was built and dedicated.
Archbishop Thomas J Murphy dedicated the new bell tower at St. Joseph's centennial Mass.